No matter when you take to the road, you know that you will be in close proximity to many types of vehicles. This includes commercial trucks.
As the driver of a passenger vehicle, you should become familiar with the many causes of truck accidents. Knowing the most common causes may help you avoid trouble in the future.
Here are some of the things that you should think about:
- Inadequate training. You should never assume that every truck driver has received the proper level of training in regards to defensive driving, safety concerns and technique.
- Reckless driving. This comes in many forms, such as failing to signal when changing lanes, failing to yield, failing to stop at red lights and speeding.
- Unrealistic schedules. This comes about when a trucking company implements a schedule that a driver cannot live up to, unless he or she speeds and/or drives for too many consecutive hours.
- Distracted driving. There are many forms of distracted driving, with texting at the top of the list.
- Drowsy driving. When a driver doesn't get enough rest, he or she could begin to doze off when behind the wheel.
If you are familiar with these common causes of truck accidents, you can help yourself avoid a situation in which you're involved in a crash.
Unfortunately, even the safest drivers can be caught up in an accident. If this happens to you, call for help, get medical treatment and learn more about your legal rights. If the trucker acted in a negligent manner, you may be able to seek compensation for injuries, damage to your vehicle and other expenses.
Source: FindLaw, "Common Causes of Truck Accidents," accessed July 19, 2017